Adventures in Binding

Yesterday I got another quilt out of the UFO stack.  This quilt is called Twister. It is created by sewing 10″ squares (aka layer cakes) together with a border, then re-cutting the sewn squares using the Twister Tool. I saw this tool demonstrated last September at the Quilt Fest of Jacksonville. I was so intrigued by it, I promptly purchased the tool and a pack of 10″ squares in the Timeless Treasures Coffee Cake batik colorway. I started by laying out all the 10″ squares in a pleasing array, alternating dark and light blocks.  My dear husband walks in and says, “that is about the ugliest quilt you have ever attempted.” I just grinned and said “wait and see.” Now he loves it and calls it “the windmill quilt.” The design is fast, easy and very satisfying. It measures 62″ square with the borders. The quilting was done by long-arm quilter, Joan Gamble of Sew Artfully Quilted.

For the binding I attempted a different method. First I cut my binding strips 2 1/8″ across the width of the fabric (I would do 2″ next time), folded in half lengthwise and stitched to the front edge of the quilt with a 1/4″ seam as you would any binding. Then I turned the binding to the back of the quilt and held it in place with Clover Wonder Clips. Using an edge stitch foot, I stitched in the ditch with a zig-zag stitch, catching both the front and back of the binding. This method was certainly faster than sewing by hand and provides a binding that will hold up to many machine washings. For quilts that will not be washed often, I will continue to hand stitch the binding to the back of the quilt. For quilts that will be washed often, I prefer a machine applied binding. Later I found this cool tutorial from Pat Sloan. I am going to try it next time.

The label is my new method of labeling my quilts with my company name and date. I used Jenna Sue’s free font (I’ve blogged out Jenna Sue here) and brought it into my embroidery software to digitize it. I love this clean and simple approach to labeling. Anyone can google Dragonfly Quiltworks if they want to find out more about me and my quilts.  Who knows if that will work in 200 years, but for now, it works for me.

We had some water damage at the office in our conference room and had to rip out the wallpaper and replace the sheet rock on one wall.  I was not able to match the wallpaper and not wanting to re-paper the whole room, I decided to paint the one wall.  The quilt (not planned) looks really nice with the carpet, paint and wallpaper colors and picture in the room.  I think that this is where this quilt is going to live. It will also help with sound absorption, as we are having problems with the acoustics in this room.

My next project? I plan to cover artist canvas’ that I have been slowing purchasing when on sale at Michael’s. I am going to cover them with some batik fabrics to be placed in a pleasing arrangement on another wall of the conference room. I am hoping that this will also help with sound absorption. I’ll let you know how everything looks when it’s done, but for now, I’m waiting on the contractor.

Hope you all have a wonderful weekend and carve out some time to be creative ~ Lora

4 thoughts on “Adventures in Binding

  1. Sorry, long story, but that’s my style. 😉 I purchased a layer cake in July 2011 when on an anniversary trip with my husband. I’ve been looking at patterns over the last few years but I haven’t found something I really like. I dropped off a quilt last night to be long-arm quilted and there was a beautiful Twister quilt hanging on the wall. I thought that might work for my fabric so I started searching this morning and found this post. The really funny part is that my layer cake is also Timeless Treasures Coffee Cake! Your quilt is beautiful and I know that mine will be too!

Leave a Reply